Smoke Free Malls?



Relaxing in the soft leather chair, my hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows warming my hands on this winter's evening (ok, I know it's 12 degrees outside, but that's cold in Abu Dhabi!), I'm ready to settle into the daily newspaper. It's peaceful in the coffee shop, I'm sitting alone and then - it happens.

Just as I'm inhaling the sweet, chocolate aroma of the delicious concoction in the huge mug, cigarette smoke wafts across the cafe and violates my space! Now, before I get jumped on by the cancer stick touting brigade; I don't mind if you smoke, I think you're perfectly entitled to do whatever you like to your health, and of course you have a right to a nice hot beverage the same as anybody else, and finally, yes I know - there isn't a sign that says you can't smoke. However, when I looked at the front page of the newspaper in front of me, a slow smile started to spread across my face.

According to the article in Gulf News today, a draft law is being discussed in Abu Dhabi at the moment, which will restrict smoking in shopping malls, possibly as soon as next month. Dubai introduced a ban at the end of 2007, and by all accounts, reports are positive.

Many countries have now 'bitten this bullet' and bans have, in general received favourable responses, despite initial reservations as to levels of success. If the UAE wants to be considered a health conscious holiday destination, this will be a definite plus in the holiday brochures.

Now, those of you who know how things work here will say that I can wipe that smirk off my face, as we all know how long things take when they are still in discussion stages. However, I'm hopeful of an early decision, especially as Dubai has already 'broken the back' on this one.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: